Date: 6/7/19 9:59 pm
From: Jeff Cooney <gaviacooney...>
Subject: [obol] Common Nighthawk in Sherwood 6-5-2019
I attended my first OBA meeting this year. After attending the Saturday
workshop presented by Nathan Pieplow, I was so excited about "earbirding",
that I went home and installed the Song Sleuth app on my iPhone Xr. I had
been hearing a twittering sound early in the morning between 3 and 5 AM
that I suspected were vocalizations of Vaux's Swifts. I wanted to get a
recording, so with Song Sleuth installed, I kept my window open and my
iPhone beside the bed. On June 5th I got a recording of the swifts, but
unexpectedly got a recording of a Common Nighthawk 'preenting' as a bonus.

I tried to edit the recording to isolate the nighthawk, but I fear I
fumbled and did not get all I wanted. I have attached the remaining clip
of the recording. Obviously I have much to learn about audio files, but as
Nathan said a bad recording is better than no recording! It is a 3 second
clip that is not very loud. Unfortunately, I did not understand the clip
and save process on Song Sleuth and this all I have left of the original 1
minute 20 second recording.

You will have to turn up the volume to hear the twittering and preents in
this recording. I checked Song Sleuth, but could not find Common
Nighthawk. I also checked the bird lists I could find for Tualatin Valley
Wildlife Refuge, but could not find a listing of Common Nighthawk. The
Willamette Valley Birding Trail Checklist notes that nighthawks are rarely
detected during Spring and Fall, and occasionally detected during summer.

So do you think the "twittering" sound I recorded are Vaux's Swifts and the
"preent" sounds are from a Common Nighthawk?

I have lived in Sherwood since fall of 2016. This is the first time I have
heard a Common Nighthawk on this side of the Cascades, however, they were
fairly common in central Oregon.

I would welcome any feedback at: <gaviacooney...>

I hope I have not violated any OBOL rules by making this posting. If so,
forgive me, it is my first post to this listserve.

Join us on Facebook!