Date: 6/7/19 8:23 pm
From: Richrd Gunn <richardgunn1940...>
Subject: Re: Public comments open for hunting changes at Wichita Mtns
I didn't read the proposal/comments but have seen a few from other sources
nationwide--mostly negative. I hope at some point someone mentions the fact
that a substantial percentage of the money for obtaining and maintaining
NWRs comes from hunter money--either from migratory wildlife stamps or
Pittman-Robertson tax on firearms. I have spent many hours hunting on
various well-managed NWRs (and have been prohibited from hunting when
Whooping Cranes were present.) These include Quivira, Squaw Creek, Bombay
Hook, Prime Hook and Valentine NWRs and probably a few that I can't recall.
It was an experience that certainly Theodore Roosevelt would have
endorsed,enjoyed and appreciated. Hunting for elk and deer is already
allowed in the Wichita Mtns and it is a quality experience and consistent
with maintaining the carrying capacity of the area. I think that well
controlled waterfowl hunting is consistent with the goals of the NWR system.
D.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 9:15 PM hope4herefords <hope4herefords...>
wrote:

> There are proposed changes to the hunting seasons and species at the
> Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Primarily of note, would be opening up
> most of the lakes to waterfowl hunting. You can visit their website or
> Facebook page for details. You can (e)mail your opinions to the address
> below by July 7, 2019.
>
> Copies of the documents may also be obtained by visiting Refuge
> Headquarters between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily or by
> electronic request to <wmr_publiccomment...>
> <wmr_publiccomment...>?subject=Public%20Input%20-%20Hunting>.
> Comments should be mailed to Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, 32 Refuge
> Headquarters, Indiahoma, OK 73552, or sent via email to
> <wmr_publiccomment...>
> <wmr_publiccomment...>?subject=Public%20Input%20-%20Hunting>. In
> order to be considered, all comments must be received by 11:59 p.m., July
> 7, 2019.

Join us on Facebook!