Date: 6/7/19 2:04 pm
From: Ted Floyd <tedfloyd57...>
Subject: [cobirds] (Mostly) "Eastern" Birds, Boulder County, June 1-7
Hey, all. Some odds and ends from around Boulder County this first week of
June 2019:

June 1, near where the Fowler Trail and Goshawk Ridge Trail come together,
above El Dorado Springs. Hannah Floyd and I audio-recorded at least two
*ovenbirds* and likely a thirdling.

June 2, Greenlee Preserve & environs, Lafayette. Massive turnout for the
city's "Lafayette Birds!" public bird walk. Nice to see that initiative
really taking off. Crowd-pleasers included *wood duck, hooded merganser,
western grebe, sora, osprey,* and *bushtit.*

June 3, South Teller Farms area, off Arapahoe Road. Two exuberant *eastern
warbling vireos.* This is, I believe, a new location for me for the species.

June 4, Mesa Trail parking area, opposite Doudy Draw. A ceaselessly
chanting, totally invisible *American redstart.* The most amazing thing,
though, is that I found a parking space.

June 5, St. Vrain crossing, 61st/63rd streets, near Hygiene. Three singing *red-eyed
vireos,* one singing *eastern warbling vireo,* and, in the field just north
of the horse pasture, at least six, and probably a fair bit more,
*bobolinks.*

June 5, Crane Hollow crossing, St. Vrain River, Hygiene. An *eastern phoebe*
singing upstream from the bridge a ways.

June 6, Table Mesa Marsh, South Boulder. Two *red-eyed vireos* and an *eastern
warbling vireo.*

June 7, Boulder Creek at Jasper Flats, 109th Street, Erie. Two *orchard
orioles,* a male and a female.

As I'm sure everybody's noticed, all of eastern Boulder County is wet, wet,
wet. Hannah Floyd found a marvelous western tiger salamander yesterday
morning, June 6, at Waneka Lake, and managed to get half the city on it.

One other thing. This morning, on a quick jaunt to the deck at Greenlee
Preserve, I saw a *Virginia rail* and heard a *western tanager.* So the
tanagers are still on the move. But the big show, of course, was back in
May. Here's a little piece I did on the tanagers for The ABA Blog:

http://blog.aba.org/2019/06/how-to-know-the-birds-no-9-what-birders-want-western-tanagers.html

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado