Date: 6/7/19 12:06 pm
From: Clay Kempf <ltjaeger...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Space Available on Yuba Pass Trip
Hi Everyone-

The June 15-16 Santa Cruz Bird Club trip to Yuba Pass and the Sierra Valley still has available spaces, so if anyone is interested in a weekend birding trip to the Sierras, please let me know. There are no fees for this trip.

The trip description that was put in The Albatross newsletter follows:

Yuba Pass and Sierra Valley Saturday and Sunday, June 15-16, 2019

The central California coast has spectacular birding, including a tremendous variety of winter species, great resident birds and unlimited potential during both Fall and Spring migrations. But how do we counter the post-breeding/pre-migration doldrums of mid-June and early July? Easy; head to the Sierras!

Our trip to Yuba Pass will also visit the eastern slope and provide a taste of Great Basin birding in Sierra Valley. We’ll spend Saturday birding the Yuba Pass and Gold Lakes area, hoping to see Hairy, White-headed, and maybe a Black-backed Woodpecker, along with Red-breasted and Williamson’s Sapsuckers. Songbird targets will include Audubon’s (in breeding plumage), Nashville, Hermit and MacGillivray’s Warblers; Cassin’s Finch, Red Crossbill, Evening Grosbeak, singing Fox Sparrows, Lincoln’s Sparrow, and Hammond’s and Dusky and Flycatchers. We’ll look for American Dippers and expect to see Calliope Hummingbird. Mountain Quail will be calling everywhere (but we’ll have to get lucky to see them). Pine Grosbeak and Northern Goshawk are possible. Western Tanagers are common, and the songs of Hermit Thrushes will confirm that we’re in the Sierras.

Sunday we’ll venture into the Sierra Valley, hoping to see Vesper, Brewer’s and Sage Sparrows, Gray Flycatcher, Green-tailed Towhee, Sage Thrasher, Clark’s Nutcracker, assorted ducks and shorebirds, breeding White-faced Ibis, and maybe Sandhill Cranes.

Meet on Saturday morning at 7 a. m. sharp in the parking lot adjacent to Yuba Pass Campground on Highway 49. Participants are responsible for their own food, lodging, and transportation. Cabins and motels in the area often book up; reservations are recommended. Numerous campgrounds are in the area, but word is that the Yuba Pass campground is closed due to snow.

Leader: Clay Kempf

Trip limited to 15 participants. To sign up or ask questions, contact the leader at <ltjaeger...>