Date: 6/7/19 6:52 am
From: Dorsey, Kurk <Kurk.Dorsey...>
Subject: [NHBirds] west side of Great Bay this week
Birders,

There have been a few good birds around on this side of the bay this week. I may have even seen some of them.

On Sunday there was a Louisiana Waterthrush singing on Mill Road in Durham, which isn't too unusual except that it was pretty far from the Oyster River, all the way past Hemlock Lane/Foss farm entrance.

On Monday evening, on the trail behind the Nottingham town hall, things were very quiet (zero ovenbirds?), but there was the always present sapsucker and several waxwings.

On Tuesday, I checked out Lubberland creek in Newmarket and admired the new martin houses, complete with a martin decoy that fooled me for a second. The bayside trail had a Nelson's sparrow singing and 2 semi-palmated plovers. The freshwater side had 8+ occupied heron nests and an occupied osprey nest.

Last evening I was very surprised to see 4 nighthawks over the UNH campus (boulder fields, near the football stadium).

This morning I plowed through the wet field at Lamprey River preserve in Durham on Packers Falls Road. Besides an army of ticks and a gallon of water in my boots, I came away with a pair of blue-winged warblers, singing alder and willow flycatchers at the opposite end of the swale, and several Indigo Buntings. I was surprised to have no bobolinks, bluebirds, or open field sparrows.

Kurk Dorsey

Durham NH