Date: 6/6/19 7:50 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Rare bird alerts
Here on the North Coast many, if not most of the rare stuff going to
ebird only is coming from out-of-state birders who may not even
be aware that OBOL exists.

Many of these alerts turn out to be misidentifications, so I don't
rebroadcast them unless they are confirmed by photo, relocated, or
unlikely to have been mistaken for something more likely.

Those of you who think your missing out need not worry too much. It's
a modern artifact of eBird that we get to hear about these things at
all. There was a time, back in the day, when, if we heard from
out-of-state drive-by birders, it was WEEKS after the fact.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!