Date: 6/6/19 6:07 pm
From: George Neavoll <gneavoll...>
Subject: [obol] Rare bird alerts
More and more reports seem to be going exclusively to eBird, without follow-up on OBOL. That eliminates a whole slew of birders, myself included, who would like to know about such sightings but are left to hear about them second- or third-hand - often too late. I know, I know, I should be on eBird, but I’m not, nor, I’m sure, are hundreds of others. Pretty please?

George Neavoll
S.W. Portland

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Nels Nelson <nelsnelson7...>
> Subject: [obol] Re: Summer Tanager reported on eBird, near Hood River
> Date: June 6, 2019 at 5:36:48 PM PDT
> To: OBOL <OBOL...>
> Cc: Diana Byrne <diana.byrne...>
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57148436 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57148436>
>
> I followed up on this RBA, hoping to re-locate the pair of Summer Tanagers. However, no luck. I walked the narrow path completely around the island and walked the Cottonwood covered section of trail twice, plus I walked all the roads on the island. I used playback conservatively in the areas with Cottonwood, but no sign of the Summer Tanagers. I spent just over two hours there, so should have seen or heard them, but came up empty. The steady wind could be a factor, but don't think so, as I did manage to locate the oriole (with NO playback). My thoughts are they appear to have moved on.
>
> Nels Nelson
> Hillsboro
>
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 8:15 AM DianaByrne <diana.byrne...> <mailto:<diana.byrne...>> wrote:
> I saw this report of a Summer Tanager in a rare bird alert from eBird, and wonder if anyone else has seen it or followed up:
>
> Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (2)
> - Reported Jun 05, 2019 08:45 by Jim Bruce
> - Government Cove, Hood River, Oregon
> - Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.686396,-121.8430996&ll=45.686396,-121.8430996 <http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.686396,-121.8430996&ll=45.686396,-121.8430996>
> - Checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57122290 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57122290>
> - Comments: "First saw female and thought it might have been female oriole (yellow w greenish yellow) and then saw the male, all red with wings a darker red (not as bright). Song very typical: robin like but slightly slurred. Call note: rapid pit, pit. On the penninula that juts out into river on east side of cove. Cotton wood type trees but not sure of species. From the gate follow narrow path along water on west side of gate.”
>
> - Diana Byrne
> diana.byrne AT comcast.net <http://comcast.net/>
>

> POST: Send your post to <obol...> <mailto:<obol...>
> JOIN OR QUIT: http://www.freelists.org/list/obol <http://www.freelists.org/list/obol>
> OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol <http://www.freelists.org/archive/obol>
> Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...> <mailto:<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!