Date: 6/6/19 1:22 pm
From: Deborah Grove <dsg4...>
Subject: Broad Mountain BBS route in Huntingdon and MIfflin counties
Hi
I ran my Broad Mountain BBS route this morning. Started at the intersection of Rag Hollow Rd and 305 at GReenwood Furnace
State Park. The route goes up the mountain and down to Alan Seeger and then down Stone Creek Rd to Cooper's Gap road where it meanders in Rothrock Forest before coming back to Stone Creek Rd east of Penn Roosevelt SP. Elevation from 918 to 2250 but most over 1100 feet.
This is one of three BBS routes that are in Rothrock State Forest and the 26th year it has been run, my 13th.
Very good day for a count. Warm, no wind until a breeze at the end, only one vehicle a small motorbike. But, very noisy streams.

Because the habitat is nearly 100% wooded, the number of species is low. This year's total species, 52, is one below the record and 9 above the average of 43. Three new species were recorded: Canada Goose (2 flew over), Prairie Warbler (with logging going on there will probably be more in the future) and Blue-winged Warbler which surprised both Greg and I. The song was very clear but was in an area that was not very open.
Found 17 warbler species. Occasionally we have had a Magnolia but not this year.
This was the first time in running this route that American Robin was not recorded. Average is 6. No feral species, European Starling, House Sparrow, and Rock Pigeon. Rock Pigeon has only been recorded once. Another big miss was White-breasted Nuthatch. High counts for
Acadian Flycatcher (12), Wood Thrush(20), Ovenbird(66), Black-and-White Warbler(13), Hooded Warbler (tied the record, 26), Blackburnian (10), and Eastern Towhee (54). Low counts for American Crow (3), Veery (13), Common Yellowthroat (12), American Redstart (8), Black-throated Green Warbler (7), and Scarlet Tanager (15).
Noteworthy: Red-eyed Vireo = 55, record is 73.

Turkey Vulture 1
Canada Goose 2
Mourning Dove 1
Eastern Whip-poor-will 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 11
Acadian Flycatcher 19
Least Flycatcher 1
Eastern Phoebe 4
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Blue-headed Vireo 6
Red-eyed Vireo 55
Blue Jay 7
American Crow 3
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 2
Winter Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3
Veery 13
Hermit Thrush 1
Wood Thrush 20
Gray Catbird 1
Cedar Waxwing 5
Ovenbird 66
Worm-eating Warbler 1
Louisiana Waterthrush 4
Blue-winged Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 13
Prairie Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 12
Hooded Warbler 26
American Redstart 8
Cerulean Warbler 1
Northern Parula 1
Blackburnian Warbler 10
Chestnut-sided Warbler 11
Black-throated Blue Warbler 11
(Myrtle Warbler) Yellow-rumped Warbler 3
Black-throated Green Warbler 7
Canada Warbler 1
Eastern Towhee 54
Chipping Sparrow 6