Date: 6/6/19 11:03 am
From: 'Phil Brown' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Acadian Flycatcher in Epsom
I heard an Acadian Flycatcher singing for about 10 minutes this morning during a visit to the NH Audubon Popple Island Wildlife Sanctuary in Epsom as I was assessing forest habitat for songbirds. The subject bird was singing from a beaver-dammed section of Lockes Brook just north of the Loop Trail.

Access to and around the sanctuary is challenging due to parking constraints (roadside only, and please do not block the road or any driveways) and Class VI road conditions, which are currently very muddy and rutted. Trail conditions this morning were also very wet due to high spring water including last night's heavy rainfall, and the wet stream crossing on the trail is currently NOT advised. Also be advised of the presence of both deer and wood ticks, especially off-trails, but also in grassy parts of the Loop Trail (I had several of each this morning). However, I was able to easily hear the flycatcher from the trail just before the stream crossing before the bird moved further to the north.
A trail guide to the sanctuary is available here:http://www.nhaudubon.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Popple-Island-Trail-Guide.pdf
NH Audubon has plans to expand parking and improve the loop trail in the coming year or so. We are developing a management plan for this property, which includes a plan to manage forest habitat for birds. In addition to the flycatcher, I recorded 41 other species this morning. The southwestern corner of the loop trail runs adjacent to a large ~10-year old clearcut that has regenerated thickly with hardwoods and contains good numbers of Eastern Towhees, Chestnut-sided Warblers, and this morning, at least one Prairie Warbler. Likely other early successional forest species, too. Please note that this area is privately-owned land, so please respect that and bird the area from the Loop Trail if you do visit.
Other interesting habitats are the shoreline areas and shrub edge along Odiorne Pond, especially near the mapped 'wetland overlook' area. A Nashville Warbler was singing from here this morning.
A full eBird checklist is available here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57139035

Phil BrownHancock, NH