Date: 6/5/19 5:34 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Late Coos Shorebirds
Last Friday the 31st there was a large flock of 37 Whimbrel and one Marbled
Godwit at Bandon Marsh. On the 2nd Richard and Margaret Alcorn had 45
Whimbrel and the one godwit still around. Whimbrel are sometime around all
June so hard to say when the latest spring date is. The latest spring date
for godwit in Coos is 18 June and earliest “fall” arrival 5 Jul.

Also on the 2nd Daniel Farrar had a late Red Knot at the mouth of Tenmile
Creek in NW Coos. The latest spring record for Coos was 4 June by Daniel at
the same location in 2014.

Yesterday, the 4th, there were five Red-necked Phalarope at the old
Weyerhaeuser settling pond site on N Spit of Coos Bay. The latest spring
date I know of for this species is 15 June and was a bird that had been
around for over a week. The earliest arrival for this species is 24 June.
However, in 2015 there were singles on 18 and 20th June- late or early
birds??? Mid-June shorebirds can be difficult to call early or late
sometimes and could even be birds that never make it to the breeding
grounds versus birds already headed south from the breeding grounds.

Today saw five Whimbrel at Pony Slough in North Bend.

Listening for unfamiliar songs with my windows down as I drive around town-
the first two weeks of June the best time for vagrants on the coast- since
there is so much habitat they can show up just about anywhere...

Merry late migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!