Date: 6/5/19 12:24 pm
From: Dennis Arendt <dennisarendt...>
Subject: [obol] Red-eyed Vireo in Springfield
The Eugene Wednesday birders went to the Mill Race Trail in Springfield.
We heard the Red-eyed Vireo singing its repeated short phrases from its
traditional location north of the Willamette River. We heard it again on
the eastern edge of looping trail that goes around the pond. We did not
use playback of its song. The repeated phrases of the Vireo seemed to be
coming from directly above us on the trail. Our complete list follows.

Wood Duck – several with youngsters

Mallard

California Quail

Eurasian Collared-Dove

Mourning Dove

Anna's Hummingbird – mostly males, some flying high and diving

Rufous Hummingbird

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Red-tailed Hawk

Great Horned Owl

Red-breasted Sapsucker – at least five

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker – found by Steve near the ground on a tall cottonwood.

Western Wood-Pewee - several

Willow Flycatcher – three

Black Phoebe – one not-so-black phoebe

Warbling Vireo - heard

Red-eyed Vireo – one or possibly two heard only

Steller's Jay

California Scrub-Jay

American Crow

Common Raven – a “kettle” of seven ravens circling above the trees

Violet-green Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee – several family groups

Bushtit

Bewick's Wren

Wrentit – heard frequently, seen once

Swainson's Thrush - heard

American Robin

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing

House Finch

American Goldfinch

Song Sparrow

Spotted Towhee

Brown-headed Cowbird

Common Yellowthroat

Yellow Warbler

Western Tanager – one female

Black-headed Grosbeak – common and frequently heard

Lazuli Bunting - one

Pamela Carpenter, Sylvia Maulding, Randy Sinnott, Scott McNeeley, Judy
Franzen, Nancy Clogston, Steve Dignam, Kit Larsen, Jim Mitchell, Sue
Hutchinson, Tom Cable, Rachael Friese and Dennis Arendt

Join us on Facebook!