Date: 6/4/19 10:23 am
From: Anne Duston <aeduston...>
Subject: [obol] Re: One tardy Junco
My first guess was insects of some kind. Very occasionally I see little
gnat-like insects on the poker plant flowerheads. But to get them would
involve more fly-catching-like motions. So perhaps the downy's goal was
some other insect, or something else. Thanks, Jeff & Frederic. Any other
comments?

Anne

On 6/4/2019 10:17 AM, FREDRIC PETERSEN wrote:

> WRT to Downies foraging on plant stems, I saw something somewhat
> similar in Nevada a few years ago: a female Downy hammering away at a
> tall mullein spike in a weedy field. I couldn’t tell what it was
> finding to eat when I examined the spike after it had flown off.
> Mullein Seed capsules are said to often harbor weevil larvae so
> perhaps that was it?
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/15249723281/in/album-72157627235352777/
>

> On Jun 4, 2019, at 9:11 AM, Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
> <mailto:<jeffgilligan10...>> wrote:
>
>> Juncos nest at low elevation around and in Portland.  Most of the
>> wintering ones of course go north or into the mountains at nesting
>> season.
>>
>> Jeff gilligan
>>

>>> On Jun 4, 2019, at 8:44 AM, Anne Duston <aeduston...>
>>> <mailto:<aeduston...>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yesterday I heard the familiar but unexpected chip-chipping of an
>>> Oregon Junco. As I prepared to water my raised bed garden a bright
>>> jet-black head of a junco popped up amongst the taller grass under
>>> my Oregon White Oak tree. It continued to forage in the grass for a
>>> couple of minutes, and then flew off. I haven't seen any juncos
>>> under my feeders or elsewhere in my yard for close to a month - they
>>> head off the minute the weather warms into the 70's.
>>>
>>> Another oddity viewed yesterday - a Downy Woodpecker working about
>>> on some stems of my Red Hot Poker plants. I couldn't tell if it was
>>> interested in seeds, what little nectar might be present or insects
>>> on the plants. Ideas? Anyone seen this type of thing before?
>>>
>>> Anne Duston
>>>
>>> in far East Portland, a couple of miles directly north of Powell Butte
>>>
>>> POST: Send your post to <obol...> <mailto:<obol...>
>>> JOIN OR QUIT: http://www.freelists.org/list/obol
>>> OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
>>> <http://www.freelists.org/archive/obol>
>>> Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>
>>> <mailto:<obol-moderators...>
>>>

>> POST: Send your post to <obol...> <mailto:<obol...>
>> <http://www.freelists.org/archive/obol>
>> Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>
>> <mailto:<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!