Date: 6/4/19 10:17 am
From: FREDRIC PETERSEN <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender fugle for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: One tardy Junco
WRT to Downies foraging on plant stems, I saw something somewhat similar in Nevada a few years ago: a female Downy hammering away at a tall mullein spike in a weedy field. I couldn’t tell what it was finding to eat when I examined the spike after it had flown off. Mullein Seed capsules are said to often harbor weevil larvae so perhaps that was it?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/15249723281/in/album-72157627235352777/