Date: 6/4/19 7:50 am
From: Rob Blye <rwblye...>
Subject: Re: Blue grosbeak, etc., Koch property, Northampton County
Nice, Arlene, to read what is in your yard. We just spent the weekend with
our daughter and family near Green Pond. We took the 6- and 9-yr olds
birding. They had a ball. The little girl even brought a note book and took
notes!

*Rob*

Robert W. Blye
34603 Doe Run
Lewes DE 19958-3332
302 945-8618
610 213-2413 mobile

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 7:11 PM DAVID KOCH <
<0000012d74227426-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> Tonight, Monday the 3rd, a female blue grosbeak appeared on the mulberry
> tree in the yard. I assume it was eating the not-yet-ripe berries. Both
> willow and least flycatchers have occasionally visited the front yard for
> nesting material, as have several Baltimore oriole females. A fish crow is
> visiting a jelly feeder for orioles out front and a male Baltimore
> immediately comes in and begins peaking it on the head. I've heard and seen
> orchard orioles in the fields but don't know where they're nesting.
> Rose-breasted grosbeaks are, as usual, at the sunflower feeders off and on
> every day. Two adult male ruby-throated hummingbirds are around, every so
> often fighting over a feeder even though I have 12 out. Of course most of
> them don't get visited right now, but they will in a few weeks when females
> and young begin appearing. Only seldom right now do I see a female. But
> the salvias (16 different kinds), cupheas (3 kinds), porterweeds, and
> everblooming honeysuckles are ready for them. Chickadees excavated a hole
> in a 4-ft stump in the back yard and they're nesting there. They look like
> Carolinas, but I know better than to call them anything but chickadee
> species. At least two tufted titmice pairs are nesting nearby, as are
> several white-breasted nuthatches. Everything else is normal -- indigo
> buntings, field sparrows, lots of song sparrows, chipping sparrows, all the
> expected woodpeckers, etc. Cedar waxwings visit the big walnut tree in the
> yard every night - some special insect in it I suppose. And there are lots
> of blue jays in and out of the yard all day, especially in the morning for
> peanuts we throw out. .
> Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!