Date: 6/3/19 4:11 pm
From: DAVID KOCH <0000012d74227426-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Blue grosbeak, etc., Koch property, Northampton County
Tonight, Monday the 3rd, a female blue grosbeak appeared on the mulberry tree in the yard.  I assume it was eating the not-yet-ripe berries.  Both willow and least flycatchers have occasionally visited the front yard for nesting material, as have several Baltimore oriole females. A fish crow is visiting a jelly feeder for orioles out front and a male Baltimore immediately comes in and begins peaking it on the head. I've heard and seen orchard orioles in the fields but don't know where they're nesting. Rose-breasted grosbeaks are, as usual, at the sunflower feeders off and on every day.  Two adult male ruby-throated hummingbirds are around, every so often fighting over a feeder even though I have 12 out.  Of course most of them don't get visited right now, but they will in a few weeks when females and young begin appearing. Only seldom right now do I see a female.  But the salvias (16 different kinds), cupheas (3 kinds), porterweeds, and everblooming honeysuckles are ready for them. Chickadees excavated a hole in a 4-ft stump in the back yard and they're nesting there. They look like Carolinas, but I know better than to call them anything but chickadee species. At least two tufted titmice pairs are nesting nearby, as are several white-breasted nuthatches. Everything else is normal -- indigo buntings, field sparrows, lots of song sparrows, chipping sparrows, all the expected woodpeckers, etc.  Cedar waxwings visit the big walnut tree in the yard every night - some special insect in it I suppose.  And there are lots of blue jays in and out of the yard all day, especially in the morning for peanuts we throw out. .
Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!