Date: 6/3/19 12:01 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pawtuckaway State Park today
I met up with Susan Wrisley this morning and we birded parts of
Pawtuckaway SP.  Focusing on the Middle Mountain trail in hopes of
finding a Cerulean Warbler.....no luck....again!  A population "boom" of
Cerulean Warblers occurred in the park in the mid to late 1990's and
early 2000's.  The species was generally an annual occurrence back then
with my high count being 6 adult birds on June 8, 1996 (4 singing males,
1 female, 1 incubating female). But the species has slowly disappeared
and my last sighting of Cerulean Warbler at Pawtuckaway SP was in 2010
along this same trail, although I search (in vain) every year.  This was
my 2nd hike up the Middle Mountain trail this year with no luck.  It may
be that this species is now gone from the park.  And sadly, they seem to
be "butchering" the park with extensive forest cutting in areas.
Hopefully this does not continue into the more productive birding areas
of the park.

Pawtuckaway SP, Nottingham/Deerfield, Rockingham, New Hampshire, US
Jun 3, 2019 8:50 AM - 11:26 AM
Comments:     Late morning visit to park.  Generally cool and windy.
Not a complete effort.  Met up with Susan Wrisley and we spent some time
walking up Middle Mountain Trail in hopes of Cerulean Warbler, but
(again) no luck.  A Black-throated Blue Warbler singing along the trail
gave us some hope, but alas, no luck.

38 species
---------------
Wood Duck  1
Mourning Dove  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1     Drumming.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4
Least Flycatcher  6
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  2
Red-eyed Vireo  16
Blue Jay  1
Common Raven  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Veery  2
American Robin  3
Gray Catbird  2
American Goldfinch  1
Chipping Sparrow  3
Song Sparrow  1
Swamp Sparrow  1
Baltimore Oriole  2
Red-winged Blackbird  3
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
Common Grackle  2
Ovenbird  15
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  2
American Redstart  5
Northern Parula  1     Heard along road near past trail heading up South
Mountain.
Yellow Warbler  2
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1     Male singing along Middle Mountain
trail.  Rapid "standard" BTBlue song.
Pine Warbler  2
Prairie Warbler  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  1