Date: 6/3/19 9:44 am
From: Erik Ostrander <erik.d.ostrander...>
Subject: [obol] 6/2/19 Cannon Beach Bird Walk
Hello OBOLers,

Yesterday, I attended the Cannon Beach monthly bird walk. It is held the
first Sunday of every month at 9:00am, we meet at the settling ponds near
downtown.

This month was the big walk for the year where we do more than the normal
settling ponds and nature trail walk. We wandered all the way up to
Haystack Rock this month and even had a couple out-of-state guests join us!

The weather started out a bit iffy but very quickly the clouds burned off
and it was a nice calm warm day to go on a bird walk.

We started out with the normal swallows (still no Purple Martin on the walk
though we have all been seeing them randomly throughout the area). Before
the walk I noticed a bird flying oddly over the southwest pond and got it
in my binoculars to see a Green Heron, first in the county for me! Susan
and Steve both mentioned that they are often seen nesting within the
wetlands surrounding the settling ponds.

A couple warblers and some extremely vocal Pacific-slope Flycatchers were
actively calling at the bridge before the aeration basins.

The back street was productive getting us Band-tailed Pigeon and lots of
calling Swainson's Thrushes and a singing Hermit Warbler.

At the beach, we easily found the expected species: Black Oystercatcher,
Tufted Puffin, cormorants, and many Common Murres. Though no Wandering
Tattler to be found despite our best efforts.

The highlight of the entire walk was at Ecola Creek were we found a Common
Merganser mother with 4 young. She had given one of them a sculpin and it
spend the better part of 5 minutes trying to get away from its siblings and
figuring out how to eat the darn thing.

Overall we ended up with 50 species for the walk and had a great time. If
anyone wants to come out next month its free and open to the public every
month!

My eBird lists can be found here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57004603
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57004627
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57004651
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57004667

I will be adding some photos to the eBird lists as soon as I get some free
time to go through them.

Thank you,
Erik Ostrander
(503) 621-6170
Podcast Co-Host: Hannah and Erik Go Birding
<https://www.buzzsprout.com/187049>
Manager at the Sea Breeze Court <https://www.seabreezecourt.com/> (Cannon
Beach, OR) "Home of the Birder Discount"

Join us on Facebook!