Date: 6/3/19 9:05 am
From: Dave & Margaret Brasser <2shebbirders...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: American White Pelicans, Ruddy Turnstones and more at Sheboygan
A big "Thank You!" to Jim Edelhuber for making a run up to Sheboygan and taking such GORGEOUS photos of "our" current "specialty" birds, and sharing those photos with the world!!!! : ) Late Wednesday we parked in the circular lot at the east end of South Pier Drive to check the South Pier. Walked out on the pier as far as the spot where there's the river on one side and the lake on the other. From there, using binoculars, we found Pelicans at the far end of that pier (later we found hundreds of additional Pelicans lined up on all three jetties south of North Point), hundreds of gulls a little closer to us on the South Pier (Herring, Ring-billed, Bonapartes), and Ruddy Turnstones, Sanderlings, and Dunlins almost at our feet on the South Pier! : ) In addition, all the sets of marina breakwall rocks were COVERED with gulls, and a few Pelicans for decoration! We didn't have the time or energy to get out the scope and sort through all of them. : / Maybe today... : ) We've NEVER
seen Lake Michigan this high! And since there is currently virtually NO beach (except North Beach, where all the people are!!!!) and the rocks are deeply underwater at North Point (looking north from the kiosk), the birds are ending up on the piers and jetties. So we have revised our usual lakefront birding "tour" to accommodate that change. : )
In other bird "news": We've been looking all over the state for Eurasian Collared-Doves for our "annual list", and couldn't find them anywhere! Until Thursday, when a pair landed in our spruce tree and hung around the neighborhood for hours!!!!! How crazy is that?!?!??! First time we've heard or seen them on the north side of town, and they end up in our own backyard!!!!! Wonders never cease! At least not in the bird world! : ) Oh! Another thing! Friday morning we heard "our" Merlin "kekking" like crazy, so we stepped outside to see what was going on... There was "our" Merlin: harassing a Turkey Vulture in the sky just above our backyard!!!! More amazement!!!! : )
Keep looking up! : )
--Margaret & Dave Brasser
Sheboygan
Sheboygan County

From: Jim Edlhuber <jimedlhuber...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 21:49:56 -0500
Hi all,
I made a run up to Sheboygan on Lake Michigan to see what birds are hanging out. North Point had a few American White Pelicans on the rock, all that remains of the once large rock point. A few pelicans also loafed on some of the jetties at North Point there along with gulls. Some gulls were present but nothing odd that I could come up with other than Bonaparte's Gulls. Probably 1,000 gulls were present out on the South Pier Boardwalk way out, but with the bins nothing seemed interesting. The Deland Park pier surprisingly had 3 Ruddy Turnstones and 10 Sanderlings feeding off the pier and rocks present. For the most part the pelicans were just hanging out, I did not see much feeding or interaction going on with them. It was a gorgeous day out, full sun and a nice breeze. A few images from the day at this link if you care to view them: <http://www.windowtowildlife.com/american-white-pelicans-ruddy-turnstones-and-more-at-sheboygan-wisconsin-on-may-31-2019/>*
Thanks and good birding,
Jim Edlhuber
Town of Genesee Waukesha Co.