Date: 6/2/19 10:07 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Common Nighthawk arrival Seaside, Clatsop County
Like Barbara Combs, I too heard the first COMMON NIGHTHAWK of the season
for me here in Seaside, Clatsop County at 21:41. It called several times as
it seemed to fly north east of the Necanicum River. The species breeds just
a mile away in the what used to be forestlands of the Coast Range; now
industrial reproduction timberland clearcuts. I wonder how abundant a
breeder Common Nighthawks were in the Oregon Coast Range when the Corp of
Discovery headed by Lewis and Clark and Sacagawea visited here when the
forests were much differently impacted by humans, and most extensively
impacted by fire-setting as I understand.

David

David C. Bailey
Seaside, Oregon

Join us on Facebook!