Date: 6/2/19 4:45 pm
From: Jimmy Woodard <j.woodard...>
Subject: Re: Passing of Ford Hendershot
David, please pass on my condolences to his family and
friends. I hope you and others can attend the celebration

on such short notice. I have to work or I would consider
coming, too.

I met Ford thru birding. He toured me around many times at
Red Slough and Little River and we birded together

on a Broken Bow CBC or two.

He was always kind, generous and considerate to me and others
he met. He would go to great lengths to make

sure other birders got to see what they were looking for.

I remember the time a few years ago when Larry Mays and I and
two birders from Louisiana met up with Ford

to search for a Red-necked Grebe on Broken Bow Lake. Larry
rented a pontoon boat and Ford drove it around

on the lake as our guide/driver/boat captain! It was quite an
experience.

I was supposed to bird with Ford during the Monday/Tuesday of
the Red Slough Festival. He graciously agreed to

help me even though he had guiding commitments to the
festival as well. I found out that Sunday of his condition.

I called him and thanked him for his offer to guide me but I
knew he wasn't in any shape to do so.

I had hopes that he might be allowed a few more months but
his passing was even quicker that Bill Thompson III,

Of the Bird Watcher's Digest family, who passed recently
three months after his diagnosis.

The birding world and society as a whole needs more people
like Ford and BT III. They were very nice folks. I will

miss them.

Jimmy Woodard

Midwest City, OK