Date: 6/2/19 9:12 am
From: Seegert, Greg <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender gseegert for DMARC)
Subject: [wisb] recent birding
All
Sorry this post is a little tardy but I've been chasing around a lot.

Thursday---I started at Thompson Prairie W of Madison. Here I met Tim ? (sorry I forgot your last name), Shawn Miller, and Chuck Hendrickson. Tim said that at daybreak there were 4 upland sandpipers in the picked cornfield along the road before you get to the parking pullout. After he left, he graciously came back to tell Chuck and I that there was a grasshopper sparrow on the 1000 Rocks Prairie sign. We drove down and it was still on the sign. Chuck then headed out to look for uppies on the prairie. I couldn't walk the prairie because when I was there 2 weeks ago, I stepped in a badger hole and severely twisted my knee (MRI this week). About 15 min later, Shawn called out that an uppie was sitting on a post about 30 yd off the road. I got my scope on it.

Next stop was Gov Dodge SP where I got LA waterthrush.

I arrived at Wyalusing SP about 2. Over the next 4+ hrs I added BB cuckoo, belted kingfisher, Acadian flycatcher, cerulean warbler and KY warbler to my year list. I saw 2 KY warblers, one along the closed road that is off Long Valley Rd with the other being along the road itself about 200 yds up the hill from the RR crossing. I didn't see any yellow-throated warblers. That evening I went listening for whip-poor-wills. I heard them at 2 spots along Gran Grae Rd (thanks Dennis). If you are looking for Gran Grae Rd be aware that it is not signed at most intersections.

The next morning I went back to the park to look again for YT wabler but dipped again. On the way back I had a dickcissel N of Rt 18 at the Iowa/Grant Co Line. I looked for the Bell's vireo that had been reported at L Kegonsa SP but dipped.

Yesterday, I joined Jeff B and others for the rain-shortened field trip to N Kettle Moraine. I added hooded warbler, alder flycatcher and yellow-bellied FC to my year list....thanks Jeff.

Greg Seegert
Beaver Dam