Date: 6/1/19 8:40 pm
From: Rusty Scalf <rscalf...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Orange-crown baby boomers
I have spent the last 3 days working my block in the Santa Cruz Mts,
just off Hwy 17 and west of it. All the rain seems to have fueled a
bountiful year.

There are baby Orange-crowned Warblers everywhere. Yesterday I had a
remarkable experience near the intersection of Bear Creek Rd and Skyline
Blvd; It seemed like a Bushtit flock was moving through. I got my glass
on one and it was a young Orange-crown; then another, then another, then
another. It was a flock of them: rather Bushtit-like in spacing,
movement and even the sounds they were making. But every one was an
Orange-crown. At least 10 of them. I have seen post-breeding flocks of
Orange-crowns in the Sierras, but nothing like this near the coast.
Today I returned to the area and everywhere I went, family groups of
Orange-crowns. And quite a bit of singing as well, which I think
indicates double-brooking. In dryer years they seems to be far less
vocal (inclined to sing) by June.

Rusty Scalf
Berkeley, CA