Date: 6/1/19 10:55 am
From: raqbirds via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] North Country highlights, and notes
A four night/five day trip (May 27-31) toPittsburg, Errol/Umbagog (boat trip), and Pondicherry timed out nicely for migrantwarblers, with sparse foliage allowing some nice views.  Highlights: Common Goldeneye- a couple dozen stillcourting in the Rapid River (Maine) where it flows into Lake Umbagog. Ring-necked Duck- many pairs aroundUmbagog especially in the Leonard pond area of NH (with a Moose!). Common Loon- just setting up territories.At least five were calling one evening near our cabins on First Connecticut Lake, souplifting and stirring!Northern Harrier- a pair at Cherry Pondcontinue to be seen from the Tudor Richards platform. Ruffed Grouse- Many heard and one withlots of (within the range of normal) white on it sauntering across a woodsroad. Snipe- only two.Herring Gull- an adult at FirstConnecticut Lake was a bit out of place for the date. [Black-backedWoodpecker- zero. But the primary birding roads are still closed, plus, at thistime of year the species should be incubating which means they are harder tohear/find than later when the young are noisy and the adults are actively feedingthem.] Olive-sided Flycatcher- one at MoorhenMarsh, Pondicherry, was one of the few flycatchers we saw the entire time. TwoKingbirds and a couple of Phoebes were the rest. Though Katrina Fenton reportedto us that she had heard/seen a few Alders and Yellow-bellieds around Umbagog. The bulk of theflycatchers are still to come!Philadelphia Vireo- one seen. The Red-eyeswere still noticeably migrating too. Canada Jay- two adults only. Katrinareports that some young jays have fledged (while many warblers/passerines have yetto reach the area!).
Blue Jay- still migrating with flocks of eight and 15 noted.
Cliff Swallow- A couple of dozen indowntown Pittsburg putting on a wonderful show of gathering mud and buildingnests. Unfortunately, the buildings along Tabor Road only had a few CliffSwallows, so far. Boreal Chickadee- only two. Marsh Wren- two at Moorhen Marsh. Bluebird- one pair along Tabor Road. Swainson’s Thrush- still migrating, notsinging. Warblers- apparently our timing was goodwith 20 species during our visit, mostly in migrating flocks. Most common were Parulas,Magnolias, the Black-throateds (both Blue and Green), and Redstarts.Bay-breasteds were the most common “budworm” species but we had a few Cape Mayand Tennessees as well. Palm Warbler- after we had been unable to see two singing Palms near Moorhen Marsh at Pondicherry two cameand sat in a tree next to the platform while we ate our lunch! Finches- hardly any. Just a few PurpleFinches.  Noteworthy mammals- Black Bear- a motherand cub along Route 3 in Whitefield and a trailing cub (Mom not seen) on the Pondicherrytrail. Moose- six. Almost all young adults. The mostwe have seen in several years. Varying (Snowshoe) Hare- only one but itwas ultra-cooperative. LOGISTICAL NOTES: It is still early-to-midApril in northern Pittsburg. Above Second Connecticut Lake there is still somesnow in the woods and most of the hardwood trees, especially birches, aredevoid of leaves. Land bird migration will continue for another week or two upthere, at least. CONSERVATION NOTES: A big part of this tripfocused on the remarkable conservation success stories in northern NH (Connecticut RiverHeadwaters- 170,000 acres protected, Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge- 37,000 acres and growing, andthe Pondicherry NWR- 7,000 acres) and some of the people who have made it allpossible. NH Audubon has been intimately involved in all of these successstories and continues with several research projects to this day.  Bob Quinn- MWT, for Doug Bechtel- NHAudubon
Robert A. QuinnWebster, NH

"Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons and daughters of the earth." Chief Seattle