Date: 5/31/19 3:40 pm
From: 'MikeBowen' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - QA Co.
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 12:13:27 PM UTC-4, Dan Small wrote:
> Rich Mason just texted that he has a Scissor-tailed Fly at Conquest Preserve in QA Co. This is a county property 10 mins west of Centreville next to the Chester River. Just north of town is Spaniard Neck rd off of rt 213. Go to the end of Spaniard Neck rd, at the sharp bend the road turns into Conquest rd. This leads to the park, along the public road though the park are telephone wires, apparently it is hawking insects along the road and also along the lane to the beach.
>
> He has been on the bird for about the last half hour, but currently is not seeing it.
>
> Dan Small

Anne Cianni and I this morning (May 31, 9:30 -- 10.30 a.m.) visited the Conquest Preserve area where Rich Mason saw the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher yesterday. We failed to re-find the Scissor-tailed, but we were very impressed with the birding potential of this QA County-owned area. We had 19 species without even getting out of the car.

This is an area that is a little tucked out of the way, perhaps, but well worth a visit. Probably good for waterfowl in the winter, certainly good for passerine breeders at this time of the year. Let's hope that one or more groups from the current MOS Convention can get there and see some "good stuff."

It's now an eBird Hotspot, which it probably should have been for a long time. Access directions were given in Dan Small's post above.

Mike Bowen
Bethesda
Montgomery Bird Club
eBird Volunteer Hotspot Reviewer for Maryland, DC and Delaware