Date: 5/30/19 6:33 pm
From: Charlie Nims <charlie.nims...>
Subject: [NHBirds] The "buds" were in Jackson today
This morning, I headed over to my Maine Breeding Bird Atlas block. While there, I got a call from Will Broussard who earlier in the a.m. had led a Tin Mountain CC bird trip to the Cross Valley Rd. area in Jackson. He told me that the area was full of warblers especially Tennessee (TEWA) for which i have been waiting to arrive in the Mt. Washington Valley area. So, after finishing my atlasing, I stopped there shortly before noon on my way home and, sure enough, many of the species were still there. In getting out of the car, I immediately heard the TEWA’s calling. But, the first bird I saw was a male Bay-breasted at eye level. Abandoning the opportunity to get on the TEWA’s, I followed the Bay-breasted to get some photos. Soon, one Bay-breasted turned into 3, 2 males and a female.

By the time I went back for the TEWA’s, there was only silence and no apparent movement. Heading down towards the Ellis River bridge, I could not find them . . . nor much else. On my way back, a fellow who was doing some tennis court maintenance at the local outdoor courts wanted to chat . . . which was a Godsend! Right after leaving him, in a large blossoming apple tree, the first bird I picked up was a male Cape May and then I finally got on a Tennessee. In the end, I stayed at that tree for ~20 minutes taking lots of photos. It turns out there was also a female Cape May and four other TEWA’s! What a way to wrap up my morning of birding!

So, the “buds” in the subject line refers to the spruce budworm species of which I had the three major ones: Cape May (2), Bay-breasted (3) and Tennessee (5-6) . . . and for good measure, a Canada Warbler was hanging around. A shoutout to Will for his phone call!

Full report posted to eBird with photos to be added.

Charlie Nims
Bartlett, NH