Date: 5/30/19 4:11 pm
From: Barry Blust <barryblust...>
Subject: Re: Dickcissel - Berks county
John,
I’m responding to the list since others may find this information useful as well.

I am no ebird expert but I believe I can explain why the search you describe fails to show your Dickcissel report. It was likely flagged as a rare bird when you entered it and thus requires a reviewer to confirm that the identification is correct. Although ebird “Rare bird alerts“ will show these unconfirmed reports (with a caveat at the top indicating that some of them may not be confirmed) they will not show up on searches in eBird until they are confirmed.

If I have misspoken I ask that somebody who knows eBird better than I do please correct me.

Barry E. Blust
(from iPad)
Glenmoore, PA
Chester County

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."

-- John Muir

> On May 30, 2019, at 5:55 PM, John Good <00000101cb5f2433-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
> I listened to (for quite an enjoyable long time) and photographed a singing
> male Dickcissel on Kunkle Road, Berks county today (5/30). GPS=40.5480,
> -075.7144. Observation (with photo) will probably appear in the eBird "PA
> rare bird alert" email tomorrow, but undoubtedly will not show up in a
> general search on eBird for Dickcissel in PA, current year. Go figure. If
> you search hotspot=Rodale Experimental Farm, you can find the documentation.
>

> John Good
>
> Lehigh Co.

Join us on Facebook!