Date: 5/30/19 2:10 pm
From: Peter Fissel <pfissel...>
Subject: [wisb] Fw: Re: Follow up- Interurban bike trail disruption Oz county
-------- Original message --------
From: Michael John Jaeger <jaegermj...>
Date: 05/30/2019 12:46 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: <petermckeever...>, <birdmandan813...>, <wisbirdn...>

Peter's probably right that ATC doesn't want negative publicity, but I think they have chosen to avoid a different type of bad publicity.
Disclosure, I spent my career working for the state Public Service Commission and have had many opportunities to interact with ATC.  I'm not in anyway speaking for the PSC here, that's what I happily retired from.
ATC does have an obligation to provide reliable electricity safely.  There has been a lot of pressure over the past score of years to have utilities keep up with clearing hazard vegetation from their powerline rights-of-ways.  The Great Northeast Blackout was caused by deferred vegetation management.  Some of the big California fires the past couple of years also started with vegetation contact with powerlines. I believe this is the kind of bad publicity that ATC has decided to avoid.
ATC has to have an approved vegetation management with a federal electric reliability group (my memory seems to point to the North American Electric Reliability Corporation, or NERC).  The impression I had was that as long as ATC was complying with their vegetation management plan, they were off the hook for serious fines, etc.  ATC will keep pointing back to their required plan and that they need to provide a reliable, safe system, when questioned why they clear-cut from edge to edge.
But, there are other ways to meet the right-of-way clearing requirements, but ATC doesn't seem at all open to considering them.  These other methods may be more expensive, and I think ATC would rather face bad local publicity than to face fines from the safety regulators.
You've got a tough nut to rack and ATC seems really entrenched.
-Michael John