Date: 5/30/19 10:53 am
From: Steve and Susie Deagle <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender sdeagle for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: Broad-winged Hawk photos
This was a great learning experience for me, and I appreciated the photos to compare, since I’m a very visual learner. Thank you to all of you seasoned birders out there who are willing to school us who are not as knowledgeable. BTW, Barry, your photos are amazing!
Susie Deagle

> On May 29, 2019, at 9:34 PM, Barry McKenzie <barrymckenzie...> wrote:
>
> OBOL-
> Many thanks to those that provided feedback on the Hawk photos I posted yesterday.
> The consensus is that the bird is a juv (1-yr old) Broad-winged Hawk.
>
> Specific features to separate imm Broad-winged from imm Red-shouldered were discussed by several people.
> I think it would be instructive for OBOLites to read some of that discussion.
>
> Dave Irons provided the most concise outline (used here with permission):
> Hi Barry,
> Looks like a one-year old juvenile Broad-winged Hawk to me. Red-shouldered and Broad-winged are really the only options and it lacks the extensive white in the folded flight feathers and coverts that should be seen on a Red-shouldered at this age. On Red-shouldered the dark tail bands are typically broader than the light tail bands. The broader terminal dark band on the tail favors Broad-winged as well. Nice find!
>
> Aaron Skirvin graciously provided a photo of imm Red-shouldered Hawk for comparison.
>
> I’ve posted the photos here for comparison: https://barrymckenzie.smugmug.com/Imm-BWHA-vs-imm-RSHA/
>
> I’ve been birding over 40 years and keep learning from my birding friends.
> Cool.
>
> Barry McKenzie
> AshlandPOST: Send your post to <obol...>

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!