Date: 5/30/19 7:48 am
From: Tom Kimbis <tom.kimbis...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Dog fur is for the birds
On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 9:26:11 PM UTC-4, James Speicher wrote:
> This appeared on the WV listserver and blew me away...never occurred to me...
>
> Date: 5/26/19 6:28 am
> From: Bruni Haydl...Charles Town, WV
>
> Subject: Who knew?
> The dog fur in my 4x4 cube suet holder was popular earlier with
> Titmice and Chickadees and of late with female Baltimore Orioles. I
> was surprised yesterday to see a female Goldfinch with a beak full of
> fur. The male was nearby watching her do all the work. ;-) This is
> the first time I have ever seen a Goldfinch taking fur.
>
> Bruni remarked in a later personal email:
> The dog fur is compliments of my friend's dog. He only gets a haircut
> once a year so there is enough long fur to supply the whole state. A
> neighbor, who has a Golden Retriever that always sheds in the spring,
> also gave me some of his fur. For some reason the fur doesn't get
> really soggy, even after a rain. Doesn't the goldfinch look like John
> Bolton?
>
> Jim Speicher
> BroadRun/Burkittsville area
> [FR] Frederick County MD
> M.O.S. member, Washington [WA] Co Chapter

We put out the fur from our Golden/Husky mix every spring and it is taken! We leave it on the ground, preferably in an area that is not wet, such as the edge of a garage. Since our vet is insistent that dogs do NOT need to be washed as this is not something that happens in the wild other than diving into rivers and streams, we don't do so anymore. Guess what? Dog smells the same as if had been washed, and her coat sheet is much shinier and more protective for her. Regardless, the dog fur is indeed taken-- I've seen it used most by Carolina Wrens and E Bluebirds, but who knows where else it winds up.
T Kimbis
N Potomac MD