Date: 5/30/19 7:22 am
From: Elaine Hendricks <ehendric48...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Dog fur is for the birds (long)
While I've been a little reluctant to continue this debate about
parasiticides, I finally decided to share what I have managed to find out.
I raised the issue with my daughter, who is a small animal veterinarian now
working for the drug company Zoetis (maker of the flea/tick preventative
Simparica). As dog owners know, a topical flea/tick treatment like K9
Advantix (which contains imidacloprid, a neonicotinoid) is applied directly
to a small area of bare skin once a month. In contrast, a systemic
treatment like Simparica is given orally in the form of a pill and
circulates in the blood stream, so a parasite must take in a blood meal to
be exposed to the active ingredient (which is not a neonicotinoid).

According to the Wikipedia article on neonicotinoids, laboratory studies
have indicated that they have relatively low direct toxicity to birds and
mammals and are less toxic compared to organophosphate and carbamate
pesticides. The article concludes that the decline in bird populations in
areas where neonicotinoids are used as pesticides is more likely due to the
loss of food supply in insecting-eating birds. Also, an article in the
July 2014 issue of the journal Nature concludes that there is a "high order
of vertebrate safety" associated with neonicotinoids due to the different
mechanisms of metabolism in vertebrates and invertebrates. Although my
daughter was skeptical that much of the active ingredient would be present
in a dog's hair, the Nature article mentions that "debris falling from
treated animals" - which I assume would include hair and skin scales - "has
been shown to be larvicidal to fleas in direct contact in the environment."

However, having said all of that, Gail is absolutely correct to raise
concerns about the risks of neonicotinoids in the environment. It was been
well-documented that they are toxic to bees and aquatic invertebrates,
since they are water soluble and thus can be dispersed easily. So, if you
are concerned about these environmental risks, as a general rule it would
be wise to avoid neonicotinoid products. When it comes to dog and cat
flea/tick preventatives, there are safer, non-neonicotinoid products
available.

My dog is a Golden Retriever/collie mix, which means that she sheds A LOT.
Last winter I collected several big handfuls of very fine, shed hair and
put it in a plastic bucket outside, under the eaves of the house (mainly to
keep my husband from finding it and throwing it away). My intent was to
put it out in the spring to see if the birds would take it. However, when
I went to check on it earlier this spring, I discovered that it was ALL
gone. So, apparently it was a hot seller. I love the idea of putting dog
hair in an old feeder, as was mentioned in the post on the WV listserv. (I
have a peanut feeder which I'm not using, which I think would be perfect.)
I will definitely try that the next time we have a major shed event. By
the way, my dog has been on Simparica for fleas and ticks for several years
(thanks to my daughter, of course). I can report that it is very effective
and apparently does not pose the same kind of environmental risks as the
neonicotinoids.

Elaine Hendricks
Greenbelt, MD