Date: 5/30/19 7:19 am
From: Peter Fissel <pfissel...>
Subject: [wisb] MAS Baxter's Hollow trip this SUNDAY, June 2
Given the dicey forecast for Saturday morning, and the lovely one for Sunday, I'm making one last change and going with the rain date for the postponed Madison Audubon trip to Baxter's Hollow.  Same meeting times (6:30 a.m. at the Middleton park & ride to carpool, or meet us up at the Hollow on Stone's Pocket Rd. at 7:15.)  The trip should last about three hours.  There will be quite a bit of walking, but largely on paved road, although some sections are fairly steep.  We typically park at the bottom and walk all the way up to the top, then back down.  Accommodations can be made for those who don't want to walk that much (i.e., you can move your car along the road as often as needed.)  The migrants are mostly through, but the nesting species are on territory.  We should get Winter Wren, Louisiana Waterthrush, Blue-winged Warbler, Acadian Flycatcher, Veery and Wood Thrush, and more American Redstarts than you'll ever want to hear again.  You may want bug spray, as the mosquito
es were beginning to hatch out on Monday.

The trip to Baxter's should wrap up around 10:30 a.m.  For those who are interested, I may then go over to the nearby Sauk Prairie Rec Area (the former Badger Ammo plant,) to look for grassland birds (Clay-colored Sparrow, Bobolink and Bell's Vireo are near-certain, possibly Henslow's Sparrow and Dickcissel.)  That portion of the trip would be mostly by car, with brief stops and short walks on paved roads.)  Bring water and a snack if you want to do that portion of the trip.

For more details and a link to a map, see the MAS website:
madisonaudubon.org/field-trips

Peter Fissel
MAS Field Trips Coordinator
Madison, Dane Co.