Date: 5/29/19 9:34 pm
From: Barry McKenzie <barrymckenzie...>
Subject: [obol] Broad-winged Hawk photos
OBOL-
Many thanks to those that provided feedback on the Hawk photos I posted yesterday.
The consensus is that the bird is a juv (1-yr old) Broad-winged Hawk.

Specific features to separate imm Broad-winged from imm Red-shouldered were discussed by several people.
I think it would be instructive for OBOLites to read some of that discussion.

Dave Irons provided the most concise outline (used here with permission):
Hi Barry,
Looks like a one-year old juvenile Broad-winged Hawk to me. Red-shouldered and Broad-winged are really the only options and it lacks the extensive white in the folded flight feathers and coverts that should be seen on a Red-shouldered at this age. On Red-shouldered the dark tail bands are typically broader than the light tail bands. The broader terminal dark band on the tail favors Broad-winged as well. Nice find!

Aaron Skirvin graciously provided a photo of imm Red-shouldered Hawk for comparison.

I’ve posted the photos here for comparison: https://barrymckenzie.smugmug.com/Imm-BWHA-vs-imm-RSHA/

I’ve been birding over 40 years and keep learning from my birding friends.
Cool.

Barry McKenzie
AshlandPOST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!