Date: 5/29/19 11:16 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] miscellanea, and Jacumba
Some miscellanea from the past few days:

There's been a singing Western Tanager in the same grove of trees along
Monument Road in the Tijuana River Valley now for at least 10 days
(still present 29 May), acting as if it is on territory; but of course
this species nests nowhere near the TRV!

Continuing Reddish Egret at various sites on south San Diego Bay is the
only individual in town I've seen the past 6+ weeks. Still 3 active
Yellow-cr. Night-Heron nests (plus 2 Black-cr. nests) next to the
bathrooms in the I.B. Sports Park.

Late Spotted Sandpiper along Tijuana River in TRV on 27 May.

Lingering, non-breeding-type waterfowl this year seem to be in
exceedingly short supply compared to the usual in late May. The only
candidate I've seen the past couple weeks is a single continuing
Red-breasted Merganser on south SD Bay. About 15 Eared Grebes continue
at the saltworks.

Singing, territorial Swainson's Thrushes at the southern limit of the
breeding range are near the Bird & Butterfly Garden in the TRV and at
the refuge riparian re-veg site at the west end of Main Street in Chula
Vista.

On 28 May, Barbara Carlson and I made a morning visit to Jacumba. Still
good numbers of Lawrence's Goldfinches all about town, and we had an
active N. Flicker nest and 2 pairs of Cassin's Kingbirds--both species
at or just beyond their normal breeding range. The selection of late-May
migrants included:

Western Wood-Pewee: 4

Pacific-slope Flycatcher: 1

Swainson's Thrush: 6

Cedar Waxwing: 8

Yellow Warbler: 2

Wilson's Warbler: 1

Western Tanager: 12

Black-headed Grosbeak: 6

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#9665): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9665
-=-=-
---
Please join us at the monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month in the Hoffman Room of The San Diego Foundation, 2508 Historic Decatur Rd., San Diego, CA 92106. Guests welcome, but membership encouraged for only $25 a year.
---
-=-=-

Join us on Facebook!