Date: 5/29/19 7:37 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Malhuer Hawk...Broad-winged vs Red-shouldered?? Something else?
Hi:

First rule of hawk ID anywhere in North America is to be sure you have
eliminated a young Red-tailed Hawk. Bird is an immature whatever it is,
adult Red-shouldered, Broad-winged and Red-tailed all have more rufous or
different tails.

Young Broad-winged Hawk: Tail is light with 4-5 brown bands, subterminal
one is widest, face has dark malar area
Young Red-shouldered: Very similar to a perched Broad-winged but tail is
dark with narrow white bands
Young Red-tailed: Back often heavily mottled white forming a V pattern,
tail light brown with several even width darker bands.

Bob Archer
PDX