Date: 5/28/19 10:51 pm
From: Barry McKenzie <barrymckenzie...>
Subject: [obol] Malhuer Hawk...Broad-winged vs Red-shouldered?? Something else?
OBOL-
I took these photos of a hawk on Monday, 5/27 while birding at Malhuer this past week.
Not sure what to make of it, and would love some feedback.

Location: within 1 mile of Page Springs Campground on the road back to Frenchglen.
Time: approx 4pm, 5/27/19.
Conditions: good, clear light from the sun in the west; bird was on the east side of the road.
Details you can’t tell from photos:
- bird was silent
- bird was a compact buteo; no bigger than a Red-shouldered Hawk, and perhaps a bit smaller

Sorry, no flight shots (bird dove down and away to be immediately lost behind trees/bushes).

I snapped off a couple photos from the driver’s seat of my truck. The bird seemed unflustered. So I got out and walked back along the driver’s side to peer around the rear end and take a few more shots. The bird did a “shuffle and fluffle”, then dove down and away.
Entire encounter: 2 minutes

Thoughts?

Photos here: https://barrymckenzie.smugmug.com/ABA-Birds/Malhuer-hawk/

Thanks,