Date: 5/28/19 10:50 am
From: 'Phil Brown' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] flock of Tennessee Warblers in Antrim!
It didn't sound like a particularly good migration morning when I left my house for Concord this morning, but I decided to stop along the road to the Antrim Wastewater Treatment facility just off Rt. 202. This has always been an excellent little migrant trap for me during the last half of May with good numbers of Tennessee and Wilson's Warblers, among the more regular breeding birds. I walked the usual 5-10 minutes down the road to the gate and didn't hear or see much in the way of migrants. The usual breeders along this stretch include gobs of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Baltimore Orioles, Yellow Warblers and Common Yellowthroats among others, and they were vocal enough. Right before stepping back into my car to head into the office, I heard a call note that sounded like Tennessee (my ears were well tuned to this species after five days on Monhegan Island last week). Upon inspecting a small grouping of tall planted fir trees (the only ones in sight), I did, sure enough, see a Tennessee Warbler - but then noticed more movement. In the next few minutes, I accurately counted at least SIX Tennessee Warblers in this trio of conifers, none of which were singing. I'm pretty sure that, away from south Texas, I've not noticed that particular collection of this species in the same area. So, keep your eyes on the spruces and firs for some of the later 'spruce budworm' warblers, which, by all accounts, are having a banner year in our area.
Phil BrownHancock, NH