Date: 5/28/19 5:30 am
From: Andrew McGann <andrew.mcgann...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Purple Gallinule at Patuxent South Tract???
Hi Jack,

To my ear, these tracks are pretty much unidentifiable. I think you would be better off with the original recordings. eBird published some guidelines on preparing audio clips for uploading. They specifically request that filtering and cosmetic editing not be done. The only editing that I do to my recordings (besides trimming and normalizing) is a low-cut filter at about 80 Hz to reduce the low-pitch growl of distant traffic that is forever omnipresent in the capital region.

https://www.macaulaylibrary.org/how-to/edit-and-upload/ <https://www.macaulaylibrary.org/how-to/edit-and-upload/>

To me, the best thing about making audio recordings is the challenge of making good recordings in the field. There's a bunch of gear that will help (shock mount handles, furrier wind muffs, even a tripod), but it’s nearly impossible to “fix” something in post in a satisfactory way. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” taken to the extreme. There is no substitute for getting the microphone closer to the bird. Every time you halve the distance, the bird should be 6 dB louder. The louder the signal, the relatively quieter the noise! Beyond that it’s all about positioning yourself to avoid extra noise, to the extent possible. And there’s a huge element of luck too, when it comes to air traffic, especially helicopters in this region. But the challenge is what makes it addictive. That, and hard-won appreciation that we don’t quite have Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring ….yet. Greg Budney has some excellent practical tips in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FijomwaDYo

Best,
Andy

--
Andy McGann