Date: 5/28/19 3:35 am
From: Jack Saba <jlsaba001...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Purple Gallinule at Patuxent South Tract???
Following an ebird report on Saturday of a Purple Gallinule seen at the
Reddington Lake end of Cash Lake
(https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56687437), I spent an hour looking
and listening yesterday (Monday) morning. I did not see the bird, but
did hear a couple of things I can't identify.

Kek...mp3:
I decided to record a Baltimore Oriole that wouldn't stop calling. When
cleaning and listening to the recording afterwards, I noticed four
fairly faint "kek" calls, at about 5, 6, 7.5, and 10 seconds into the
recording. They may be frogs, but possibly not.

Unknown...mp3:
This file has a rattling call that I don't recognize at all. It occurs
maybe 10 times through the recording, most clearly at about 17 and 19
seconds. There is also a high-frequency (4.5-5kHz) trill 8-10 seconds in
that might be a Pine Warbler.

Some artifacts were introduced by editing the sound tracks to remove
noise from clothing, screaming fisherman, and the like. These do not
affect the calls mentioned below. If anyone wants the original sound
tracks, contact me offline.

Jack Saba
Berwyn Heights