Date: 5/27/19 9:25 pm
From: 'Lisa Sheridan' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Fwd: Hooded Oriole BBA notes and id points
I've had many opportunities to observe several pairs of Hooded Orioles at my property  over the years.One  challenge has been to identify the younger fledged birds from the adult females after a month or two when they became independent and stop acting like curious babies.
Today I finally was able to see and capture an id point that I suspect will help me and possibly some of you in the future.
The mature females  appear to have a darker upper mandible and in this case (in photos),  the tip of the lower mandible is also dark.I'm not sure the pinkish bill of the juvinile  its going to stay that way through the whole summer but I suspect it will take several months to a year to darken. I've attached a few pictures to my ebird report showing some good beak studies as the adult female was feeding the recently fledged young.
I've also heard the younger ones have a downward curved bill. My images were questionable on that.
This is also the first year I've ever observed a female coming to the seed feeder all day long for sunflower seeds and carrying the seeds off.A few of my shots show her feeding the seeds to her fledgling too. Have any of you observed this?Perhaps the Birder's Handbook needs an update?

 Feel free to add any more comments on Id tips related to females and juveniles.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56822381

Lisa Sheridan -Soquel