Date: 5/27/19 6:56 pm
From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant...>
Subject: [obol] Portland Audubon Wasco trip and Bear Springs
9 of us ventured out to Wasco Co yesterday, making a loop from Portland to The Dalles, Tygh Valley, Pine Grove and back on 26 on the south side of Mt Hood. We finished with 96 species, some heard only. We didn't really find anything unusual; all our species were to be expect on the route.

Best birds were a Long-billed Curlew (south end of Juniper Flat Rd), the continuing Tricolored Blackbirds on Driver Rd, and a full set of empids, all seen well and heard.

The Grasshopper Sparrow spot on Tygh Ridge Rd and the Bank Swallow colony on 197 just uphill from The Dalles are now both defunct. The Grasshopper Sparrow spot on Victor Rd seems to still have a pair. When will the curlews disappear?

The real reason for this posting is to advise folks from staying clear of Bear Springs. Ownership recently changed from Forest Service to the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. We walked in and almost got a ticket; security thankfully was easy on us.

Stefan Schlick
Hillsboro, OR

Join us on Facebook!