Date: 5/27/19 6:46 pm
From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10...>
Subject: [wisb] Ashland-Bayfield County Big Day
My Great Wisconsin Birdathon team, the Lake Superior eBirders, ran our Big Day on Sunday. After a really nice migration into the region on Saturday, a few more birds had finally returned as we hoped. We ultimately tallied 161 species in just two counties, which was near that of the 163 we found last year but short of our record 171 in 2017. Our first bird of the day ~2:30am was Whip-poor-will and last bird of the day near 8pm was a Whimbrel! A few highlights in between were 2 Boreal Chickadees, a Grasshopper Sparrow (one of few recent county records), an unbelievable total of 21 LeConte's Sparrows, Long-eared Owl, and Kirtland's Warbler near a known (and undisclosed) breeding territory. Warbler activity was modest, ducks were few, and we salvaged some generally poor shorebird activity by finding Ruddy Turnstones and Sanderlings along the Ashland lakefront and Black-bellied Plovers, Short-billed Dowitcher, White-rumped Sandpipers, and the Whimbrel at a wet inland field in the waning h
ours of our day.

There's still time to donate if you'd like to help us reach our fundraising goal, which is now just a few hundred dollars away. Donors get a full report of our day complete with photos and the satisfaction of knowing you contributed to projects that help Wisconsin's birds.

http://wibirdathon.dojiggy.com/lakesuperiorebirders

Thank you!

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI