Date: 5/26/19 9:12 pm
From: <jacksonwrxt89...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Moody Park, Claremont - Unique Sullivan County breeding species
Before riding motorcycles for most of the day with my father, I went to Moody Park in Claremont this morning in search of some species that I’ve never had breeding anywhere in the county. Last year, I learned that both BLUE-WINGED WARBLERS and PRAIRIE WARBLER were likely breeding here from a checklist submitted last year by Isaac Denzer. To my delight I found three singing male Blue-winged Warblers. Two of the birds were close enough to the trail where I could use a playback and confirm they were territorial and pure Blue-winged Warblers. A third bird I could hear I couldn’t confirm visually.
Later I came across two singing PRAIRIE WARBLERS. One male I found foraging and singing right along the edge of the road. Shortly after, a female joined the him making the experience more exciting. I haven’t had either species breeding anywhere in Sullivan County previously which makes this all the more exciting.
Moody Park has extensive area which was recently forested, leaving only some of the larger pines. The low, scrubby habitat makes it ideal habitat for a lot of different species. I came across a MOURNING WARBLER there as well today (I had a second in VT later, there seemed to be a big fallout of them throughout New England).
I also had my first Wood-Pewee and Alder Flycatchers in Moody Park today as well. And to finish the day, I had a singing Eastern Whip-poor-will at the Concord airport this evening.

My checklist from Moody Park: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56750441

-Dylan Jackson
Goshen

Sent from my iPhone