Date: 5/26/19 6:26 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Dog fur is for the birds
This appeared on the WV listserver and blew me away...never occurred to me...

Date: 5/26/19 6:28 am
From: Bruni Haydl...Charles Town, WV

Subject: Who knew?
The dog fur in my 4x4 cube suet holder was popular earlier with
Titmice and Chickadees and of late with female Baltimore Orioles. I
was surprised yesterday to see a female Goldfinch with a beak full of
fur. The male was nearby watching her do all the work. ;-) This is
the first time I have ever seen a Goldfinch taking fur.

Bruni remarked in a later personal email:
The dog fur is compliments of my friend's dog. He only gets a haircut
once a year so there is enough long fur to supply the whole state. A
neighbor, who has a Golden Retriever that always sheds in the spring,
also gave me some of his fur. For some reason the fur doesn't get
really soggy, even after a rain. Doesn't the goldfinch look like John
Bolton?

Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County MD
M.O.S. member, Washington [WA] Co Chapter