Date: 5/26/19 3:13 pm
From: Ira Sanders <zroadrunner14...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Request for help: Ravens in Prowers County
I checked my Avisys records for Bent and Prowers for either raven and only
came up with one record: Common Raven, Bent, May 31, 2004. In my eBird
records I have 2 Common Raven at Hasty Campground on May 30, 2016 and 2
Chihuahuan Ravens at John Martin on May 28, 2017.
Maybe Duane Nelson can add something.
Ira Sanders

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 10:37 AM coloradodipper via Colorado Birds <
<cobirds...> wrote:

> All:
>
> I write to request help with discerning the occurrence pattern of Common
> Raven in Prowers County. In my experience, the only ravens that I’ve
> seen/heard in Prowers (away from the very southernmost bit by Two Buttes
> SWA) that I was convinced were Commons -- and not the expected Chihuahuan
> Raven -- were all in the fall/winter period, a period in which Commons seem
> to spread out/wander. Additionally, all of my very few definite Common
> Raven records in the county are from my previous sojourn in the state, so
> the subsequent 11+ years might have seen a change in the species'
> occurrence pattern.
>
> Because Prowers and Bent Counties are currently covered by the same eBird
> filter, and because Common Raven is an expected breeding species in, at
> least, southern Bent, the filter allows Commons all year in the filter
> region, thus in Prowers County. As I did not record Common Raven in Prowers
> in summer in my previous occurrence in the state and I have yet to record
> it at all in my current sojourn here, I am confused by the eBird record for
> the species in the county:
>

> https://ebird.org/barchart?r=US-CO-099&bmo=1&emo=12&byr=1900&eyr=2019&spp=comrav
>
> Relevant to the discussion is my essay on raven ID in the In The Scope
> column in *Colorado Birds:*
>
> https://cobirds.org/CFO/ColoradoBirds/InTheScope/63.pdf
>
> So, I’d appreciate the thoughts of those that have spent time in the
> county AND paid careful attention to ravens there. I could use other
> opinions, because I am in the process of splitting Prowers Co. out of the
> current filter, and I need to figure out what to do with Common Raven.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony
>
> Tony Leukering
> Wiley, CO
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/<738626592.4188595.1558888660830...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/<738626592.4188595.1558888660830...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Ira Sanders
Golden, CO
"My mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading
into a waterfall of creative alternatives."