Date: 5/26/19 12:39 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: A break in the weather brought good birds to Black Butte Ranch
Jack, the first empid is a Willow Flycatcher. Note the white throat, large bill with what appears to be a completely orange lower mandible, medium primary projection showing rounded tips, and white undertail coverts. You can see the pale, thin eyering and a light spot between the eye and the bill. It is not a Western Wood Pewee, because your bird doesn’t have extremely long, pointed primaries. Dave Irons wrote a nice article on separating Willow Flycatchers and Western Wood Pewees a few years ago that is helpful. Here’s the link: http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2012/06/09/an_under_appreciated_id_challenge

Number 2 is hard to determine. It appears to have a long primary projection in the first photo and typical Pewee upright posture. However because it is back lit and underexposed, I can’t really see where the secondaries end and the primaries extend past them. Similarly it is impossible to tell whether the bird has a pale eyering or not. The undertail coverts in the second photo appearing more white than dusky, but that is hard to evaluate because the picture is slightly overexposed. The wing tips look more rounded in the second photo which favors Willow Flycatcher and highlights the problems of trying to ID a difficult species in one photo (recall the discussion of the empids from Malheur last fall). The warm brown tones are usually more associated with Willow Flycatcher than Pewees. It appears that there is a light patch in the lores which would indicate Willow as Pewees should have all dark lores. I am leaning towards Willow Flycatcher, but I think we would need more photos to be confident of an ID either way.

Tom Crabtree, Bend