Date: 5/26/19 12:32 pm
From: Jay Jones <jonesjay62...>
Subject: Re: Nestling demise
The mites May have driven them over the nest brink but it’s more likely that, once they were on the ground they were killed by predators or by exposure. Yes, remove and burn the nest, clean the nesting area and hope the birds will try again. The procreation instinct is very strong among birds. Don’t worry, be happy!

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 26, 2019, at 2:22 PM, Dorothy Cooney <songbird51488...> wrote:
>
> I had 5 healthy, active phoebe nestlings yesterday. Today they are all dead! Two were on the ground below the nest, one still in the nest, and two MIA. There were hundreds of tiny bugs in and around the nest that looked like mites. Could that be what killed them? I removed the nest and cleaned the area. I love my birds and am heartbroken. Will Mama Phoebe nest again?
>
> --
> Dorothy Cooney
> Wickes, AR

Join us on Facebook!