Date: 5/26/19 12:02 pm
From: Charlie Nims <charlie.nims...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Old Cherry Mountain Rd. warblers, etc.
Will Broussard and I spent the morning birding Old Cherry Mountain Rd. near Bretton Woods which is now seasonally open to vehicular traffic. We had 55 species highlighted by 19 warbler species. Some of the warbler highlights were: Bay-breasted (2), Cape May (1), Mourning (1) Blackpoll (3) and Canada (8). All of the warblers seen\heard with the exception of BBWA and CMWA are breeders in this area and most were in good numbers.

The Bay-breasted were a male and female together and chasing each other at times although we did not see any definitive courtship behavior. We saw them over a ~15 minute period. While I assume these were migrating birds, given the BBWA numbers these days, who knows, maybe we’ll have some breeding in the southern part of Coös County :>)

We also had 6 Purple Finch and Will had a flyover Evening Grosbeak. Species with good numbers included Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Winter Wren, Golden-crowned Kinglets and White-throated Sparrows.

Full report posted to eBird with a few photos.

Charlie Nims
Bartlett, NH