Date: 5/26/19 9:37 am
From: coloradodipper via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Request for help: Ravens in Prowers County
All:

I write to request help with discerning the occurrence pattern of Common Ravenin Prowers County. In my experience, the only ravens that I’ve seen/heard inProwers (away from the very southernmost bit by Two Buttes SWA) that I was convincedwere Commons -- and not the expected Chihuahuan Raven -- were all in the fall/winter period, a period in which Commons seem to spread out/wander. Additionally, all of my very few definite Common Raven records in the county are from my previous sojourn in the state, so the subsequent 11+ years might have seen achange in the species' occurrence pattern.

Because Prowers and Bent Counties are currently covered by the same eBirdfilter, and because Common Raven is an expected breeding species in, at least,southern Bent, the filter allows Commons all year in the filter region, thus in Prowers County. As Idid not record Common Raven in Prowers in summer in my previous occurrence in thestate and I have yet to record it at all in my current sojourn here, I amconfused by the eBird record for the species in the county:
https://ebird.org/barchart?r=US-CO-099&bmo=1&emo=12&byr=1900&eyr=2019&spp=comrav

Relevant to the discussion is my essay on raven ID in the In The Scope column in Colorado Birds:
https://cobirds.org/CFO/ColoradoBirds/InTheScope/63.pdf

So, I’d appreciate the thoughts of those that have spent time in the county ANDpaid careful attention to ravens there.  I could use other opinions,because I am in the process of splitting Prowers Co. out of the current filter,and I need to figure out what to do with Common Raven.
Thanks,
Tony
Tony LeukeringWiley, CO