Date: 5/26/19 7:43 am
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol]
In early May we travelled to the east coast to visit our sons. In between
visits at Lexington Park, MD and Philadelphia we made a quick loop south
and east to visit National Wildlife Refuges in Virginia (Rappahannock River
Valley, Great Dismal Swamp, Eastern Shore of Virginia & Chincoteague) and
Delaware (Prime Hook). It was a whirlwind visit as we only had 2 ½ days to
visit the refuges but we got to see a diversity of habitats, birds, and
other critters. Near Prime Hook we saw the beginning of horseshoe crab
spawning on the beaches and gulls and shorebirds foraging on their eggs.
We were there on May 9th, which is on the early side as the peak viewing
period for shorebirds at Delaware Bay is May 15-25th. Major shorebird
migration along the Oregon coast is essentially over by then even though we
are located nearly 6° degrees further north! I’ve posted some photographs
if you’re interested. I also posted one video that makes it obvious why
they were named laughing gulls. You can view them here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24707703@N06/albums

Roy

Join us on Facebook!