Date: 5/26/19 12:45 am
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Re: A break in the weather brought good birds to Black Butte Ranch
The bird that you have labeled Orangr-crowned Warbler is a female Yellow
Warbler. The Empidonax species I am struggling with to identify. Certainly
the bird labeled Empidonax 2 has a very long primary projection and looks
Wood-Pewee-like. Looks good for Willow perhaps. It has been a while since I
have observed rapid plumages...

Thanks for sharing,

David

On Sat, May 25, 2019, 18:06 Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr...>
wrote:

> There was a wonderful assortment of birds this morning on the ranch.
>
> WILSON'S SNIPE, WILSON'S PHALAROPE, WILSON'S WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER,
> ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, and two EMPIDONAX sp. were among the
> most cooperative.
>
> The two Empidonax flycatchers were about 1/2 mile apart. Unfortunately,
> neither bird vocalized. But both bobbed their tails up first, then down
> helping me rule out Gray. I noted pale lores, off-white wing bars,
> olive-gray upperparts, white to yellow-tinged underparts, and a faint
> eye-ring on the first bird. The second bird's posture was more erect than
> the first and it was darker overall, with whiter wing bars and had a longer
> primary-projection. I've tentatively identified the first bird as a WILLOW
> FLYCATCHER, and the second as a DUSKY FLYCATCHER.
>
> Your thoughts will be appreciated.
>
> https://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2019/5/big-meadow-black-butte-ranch
>

> Jack Williamson
> West Linn, Oregon